Monday, January 19, 2009

Day 3 - Bombala to Melbourne



When I left at 7:30, it was freezing cold and cloudy. I started to wonder where summer was, and giggled when I thought that what were the chances that you could plan a trip in the middle of Jan and have mid 20s temps heheeh. I was very quickly out to Delegate and over the border, woooooo hoooo! I stopped off to look at the first settlers huts and then continued on to the Bonang.

Not much you can really say about the Bonang, except...



What do you think the chances are that I know 3 of the people that put those stickers on? It is pretty funny that I go so far from home and I know that I know 3 of the 5 ppl that put those stickers on. Hell I might know the other two and not know it!

The fog was really low on the Bonang



and it got considerably worse on the second gravel section, to the point where I had about 5m I could see in front and didn’t know I was in a corner until I was in it!



Luckily the fog cleared before the Wallabies came out to play and they decided to get off the road pretty quick anyway. In 105km of twisties, I passed 2 cars, 3 trucks and 1 cop.



About 50km from Orbost nature called and I didn’t want to wish the 50km of twisties left away just to get to a toilet, so grumbling to myself that men have it easy, I pulled over and hid myself in a pine tree, because knowing my luck, while I hadn’t seen a vehicle in a fair while if I dropped my dacks in view of the road and truck load of guys would come past at that very moment.

I hit the road again and all too soon, I rolled into Orbost where I passed a couple of kids, where one of the, who would have been about three gave me a thumbs up, which I returned and he rewarded me with a huge grin, ahhh yes, it was a great time to be alive and riding alone! I took the back way to Bairnsdale through Bruthen and had an early lunch in Bairnsdale.

From there I took the M1 to Melbourne and this section turned into a tour of fast food joins and petrol stations along the way in order to give my arse some relief. I rolled into Melbourne in perfect time, Soos had just got home from work and Tits got put to bed.

More pics from this day

No comments:

Post a Comment